An unincorporated community of about two square miles, the town lies east of Hwy. 119, better know as The Diagonal between Boulder and Longmont. In 1875, it was officially platted into 700 lots by P.T. Hinman. He and another farmer donated the land so a town could be created to meet the agricultural community's needs.
The town was named after Chief Niwot and means "left hand" in the Arapahoe language. A small intimate community of 4000 people who know their neighbors and hold community sporting and social activities, such as old-fashioned ice cream socials. Antiques stores, auctions, restaurants and restored buildings line Second Avenue in the old downtown area. This great location gives you the best of small city friendliness, yet still close to the activities of the mountains and Boulder.
The town is setting its course for growth and has an active community association that keeps its residents updated about current concerns and development. Now sporting their own brewery, the city is growing and is committed to its small business core. A great place to work and live. Or, as the natives say, "Find out What's Hot in Niwot!"